Every mama has her list of things you should have when you bring a new baby home. Having just gone through this again for the third time, I feel very confident that I have a list that will help a new mama out! It’s overwhelming when you’re standing in the registry aisle, but it doesn’t have to be.
Nothing makes me happier than recommending something to a new Mama and hearing that it was worth her while! Here is Band of Mamas list of New-Mama-Necessities.
Must Have Apparel for Mama
- Get yourself a cute postpartum tank that is suitable for nursing or pumping. This is one of my favorites: Bravado Slimming Nursing Tank.
- Postpartum leggings to hold allllll the goodies in place after baby.
- Diaper Bags… everyone has their preference. Having done this a few times around the block, I wish I would have gotten a smaller backpack from the start! This one is SO cute, fits everything, and is functional.
- Nursing pads to soak up all the extra milk! It just pours out sometimes. These ones by Bamboobies are my favorite.
- Button down everything. It makes it so easy to nurse or pump! My favorite are Chambray tops, because they go with everything. When I dress like myself, I feel like myself. It’s easy to get into a rut after baby comes of lounge pants and sweatshirts. Change it up! You can still be comfortable and look cute.
Must Have Baby Items
- Boppy Nursing & Propping Pillow – Not only is this great for nursing, this pillow continues to be used through all different stages!
- A Solly Baby Wrap– I can’t recommend these enough. I was gifted one before Julia was born and it is, hands down, THE MOST used item I have ever gotten!
- 4moms MamaRoo swing– I didn’t get this until Brooks was born, but my-oh-my it is worth the hype! Not only is it great for lounging, it’s the perfect combination of swing and human-like movements.
- A moveable bouncer (vibrating, sounds, etc.) like this one from Ingenuity. — I move baby to the kitchen while I’m cooking, the bathroom while I shower, or the kitchen table while we eat. It’s a win-win for everyone!
- An activity center, like this one from Fischer Price, or an activity mat/gym. Again, I only share things that are multi-functional because as Mamas, we need that! We don’t have a ton of space in our current home, so this one is smaller than some of the other really bouncy ones. It’s great for strengthening legs, play time, and when they get bigger, a place to trap them while you get ready for work 😉
- A Fischer Price Tub with Sling. It lays perfectly across the kitchen sink, transitions to the bathtub, and then can be used outside later for a little pool!
- Boppy Nest Noggin– Anything I can do to try and keep my kids’ heads in “shape” I will try! When they lay on the floor or in their bouncer in those early months, I love this for head support.
- Fischer Price Space Saver High Chair– As you’ve heard, we don’t have a ton of space. This chair has been perfect for tight dining areas! I think I would have preferred it even if we had a bigger dining room. It’s fantastic!
- A Crib Wedge– I’ve used one of these with every baby. Once they transition out of their swaddle, I try and keep the mattress propped up, especially during winter sickies! It just helps keep them slightly elevated if they have any sort of cough or congestion.
- Chicco KeyFit30 Travel System– Affordable, functional, and has amazing safety ratings. Grab an extra carseat base if you’re alternating pickups with your spouse!
Feeding & Nursing Must Haves
- Avent Bottles in Natural. Nursing or not, you will need bottles on hand for that time you’re going to be away, I swear by these ones– all my babies have used and fed well with these.
- MAM pacifiers– Again, maybe your babe won’t need a pacifier. Julia never took one (or needed it!) but both Brooks & Maggie love these ones!
- A Breast Pump- See what your insurance covers! I was an exclusive pumper with both Julia & Brooks, and my Medela Pump’n Style Advanced is still working strong. Some Mamas swear by the Spectra because it’s sleeker, lighter, and quieter. However, I’ve heard the suction isn’t as great. Ask around and see what your circle recommends!
- Haakaa Silicon Breast Pump– Mamas… if you’re nursing, I can’t recommend this product enough. It literally suctions to your breast while you’re nursing the other side and catches all of the milk that leaks out during feeding. This one is a game changer!
- Earth Mama Organic Nipple Butter— for those early days when everything is RAW.
I hope this list helps a new Mama gather some ideas for some must-have items! There is nothing worse than buying things you won’t use. I promise you, all of these things have been used for 3 babies! They have lasted through the test of time, spit up, movement, and growth. If you have any other must-have items, comment below!
This post contains advertisements and by clicking the link, I may receive a commission but at no cost to you. See my full disclosure form HERE